Updated: Apr 30, 2021
I am sure we are all pleased to see the end of 2020, the most challenging year most of us will have ever lived through.
Like every year, most of us would have set lots of goals to complete in 2020, that sadly we have been unable to tick off.
Now we are currently in lockdown number 3, it is very difficult to be able to set realistic goals for 2021. However I want to set myself 5 goals and reminders.
1. My main goal for this year, is not to be so hard on myself. Ideally I want to be able to set myself a goal of how many photo shoots I would like monthly, and yearly. However as my business is currently unable to open due to a lockdown, I have decided not to put too much pressure on myself.
2. Remind myself I am my only competition. I find it very easy to compare myself to other photographers, many that have been in the business for 10+ years. However, I have learnt that my only competition is myself. When I look at my work from when I first started I can clearly see the growth and development I have already made. I believe everyone needs to remember how far they have come, not just how far you have to go. You might not be where you want to be right now, but you are not where you used to be either. "The only person you should compare yourself to, is the person you were yesterday."
3. Explore new places. 2020 was obviously a difficult a year to visit new places. However I really enjoyed having lots of location photo shoots, which made me explore places I had never been to before. Cornwall is an amazing place, and even after living here for 21 years there is still some new areas that I would love to see. I don't think I have ever been to Kynance Cove so that is top of the list for 2021, along with St Michaels mount!
4. Stay active, Ok, so this sounds a bit cheesy, but when the first lockdown hit, my partner and I started running. At the time we were only allowed out for one hour of exercise a day, and running really helped us both mentally. Since I was allowed to work again, I stopped running, and I definitely missed being active. We decided to go for a New Years Day run, and have now got the motivation back to carry on. Being active has really helped me both physically and mentally, so this is definitely something I want to continue this year.
5. To become fully self employed. Like many people, when building up a business, they will also have a part-time job. Alongside my business I work at a restaurant a couple of times a week. My biggest goal this year would be to become fully self employed. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself, as I know we are still in very uncertain times. If it wasn't for this pandemic, I believe that this goal would have been ticked off, but here's hoping I can achieve this in 2021.