Updated: Nov 12, 2019
It doesn't matter what you look or feel like, most people can be self conscious when having their photos taken. I believe this is especially true for women who are pregnant, or have just had a baby. However these moments only happy once, your baby is only little once. These are just a few reasons why I think it is important to exist in photos, whether that is everyday snapshots or by booking a session with a professional photographer like myself. 1. If you don't do it for you, do it for your children. I love looking through old family photos, bringing back all my childhood memories. When your child is all grown up, and moved out they will love looking back at any childhood photos.
2. You don't have anything to lose. At every session I like to encourage the parents to get a photo with their baby/children, After you have given birth you don't feel like you look a million dollars, but I always feel it is important to get this moment captured. If you don't the image you do not have to get it printed, it does not need to be hung on your wall, you can do what you like with it. Think of it as trying on a dress, if you do not like the way it looks you don't have to purchase it!
3. You do not have to be the focus. Photos are about showing the connection between your family. My job is to angle every photo to make sure you love it!
4. You don't have to pose, be yourself, relax. Whilst I always prompt my clients during their photo shoot, I never pose them fully. I love to capture the candid, natural moments. My style is very relaxed, I aim to make sure the family is having fun, and this shows in the end results. Having your photograph taken should be something you look forward too.
5. It will send you back in time. Do you want your babies to stop growing, do you wish they could be this little forever? Unfortunately I don't have the power to stop time, but I do have the ability to capture a moment in time. Documenting it forever, allowing you to always remember the precious moments when your babies were so little.
6. Family photos create a happier home. Research shows that children whose parents display family photographs in the home grow up with greater confidence and sense of belonging. "Professor Beattie adds: 'It's very significant that the two reasons people give for loving a particular photograph is that it reminds them of a happy time taken with family. These things are so important to us." (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1117243/Family-photographs-help-develop-childs-positive-self-image.html)
So please, take that photo! Don't wait, time is precious. Your baby changes everyday, and they will only be little once. Capture every moment. In the years to come, I promise you, these photos will be the best thing you have done.